The bridge was reinforced from DB18 to DB24 due to the increase of car loads. We used the new construction technology no.222 on the lower part of the slab and used stainless steel wire mesh fixation with concrete nail, and finally finished it up with a polymer mortar. However, the slab of this bridge had a carbon fiber and they were easily removed by hand. The bridge reinforced with polymer mortar was assessed to have been successful a the result was DB18 originally to now DB24. After 6 months, we noticed a small crack due to polymer desquamation and the cracks gradually increased. The basic problem was that the coefficient of linier expansion of the polymer mortar was not similar to the concrete. This case shows how the adhesion method cannot guarantee the quality of the reinforcement.
During construction, the epoxy adhered carbon fiber breaks by hand
Stainless steel wire mesh adhered polymer mortar falls a part